Patsy of Island Bay
Built in 1950 by Jock Muir and designed by the renowned Laurent Giles company, “Patsy of Island Bay” is a classic example of the beauty and elegance that people often associate with timber boats.
“Patsy” as we, the staff at Careel Bay Marina have lovingly abbreviated her name to be, was originally built for Charles Cooper, one of the founders of the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. Charles owned Patsy for 20 years before making the decision to sell her.
Jock Muir would eventually become the owner of Patsy and it was said that she was his personal favourite. Jock raced her in the tough Sydney to Hobart of 1970 and had another crack in 1971. With Jock at the helm, Patsy competed in a bunch of different races between 1970 and 1974 when he decided it was time to hand her over to a new owner.
In 1997 Glen Nicholson purchased Patsy and had her undergo a total restoration. 47 years after being built Patsy was looking as beautiful as ever.
One day in 2010 Patsy was on the hard stand at Careel Bay Marina having her yearly antifouling and maintenance done when Geoff McIntosh saw her and instantly fell in love. The decision was made then and there, Geoff had to have her. Several years had passed since her last restoration and at that point when Geoff saw her, she had fallen into a state of disrepair.
Over the past 6 years, Geoff and his wife Pepi have gone to great lengths to restore Patsy to her former glory and ensure Patsy is always looking her best. With help from the team at Careel Bay Marina, Patsy is maintained to a high standard undergoing frequent painting and varnish work to ensure she always sparkles.
Be sure to keep an eye out for Patsy of Island Bay, when you are next out on Pittwater, she is surely a sight to behold!